Monday 6 April 2015

Pantone Colour of the Year Challenge ~ Marsala


After seeing the beautiful quilts in last years Pantone challenge,  I wanted to join in this year. I looked around for some examples of Marsala fabrics. I bought a few fabrics online. but only one was the right colour - Amy Butlers Queen Ann Butterflies. Consequently, I wondered about just using the one fabric but a good variety of backgrounds. When I saw the Low Volume Plus quilt I thought it might work for that idea. Once I started I could see it needed a little something else. Using the origin of the colour name the alternative block  became gold,  representing a cork

The quilting is uneven parallel lines, which I thought worked really well.
I took the quilt with me  to the Hawkes Bay which is a big wine growing area in the North Island, to keep with the theme. Grape picking time was underway there when I took the photos.

This is "WHAT A CORKER MARSALA"



Size 53 1/2 inches by 65.
This is not a prize winning stunner, but it is an honest quilt and is very masculine. It keeps well to the Marsala theme, and I really like it.

The colour and the making of the quilt resulted in a little research about Marsala, which was an interesting exercise.   In the 1990s we did a visited several North Island wineries one summer and I bought a bottle of Marsala from one of them. I remember making Chicken Marsala  once, and used it regularly in lieu of sherry in trifles. I have been inspired to buy another bottle and experiment with it again.

I am linking to On The Windy Side for the parade of quilts

10 comments:

  1. Nice job with a color I didn't like too much. The cross is perfect and it's a great name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color for lipstick, and your quilt! That pop of gold is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't like the color when it came out, but you did a masterful job with it. brava!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt - the Marsala looks stunning with the low volume fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a really good job sticking to the color! Plus quilts are always winners in my book anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great quilt! Love the low volume background with the marsala.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all comments. I really appreciate them all and for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love plus quilts! Thanks for sharing and best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful Lynn! I too loved that particular Amy Butler fabric. The fact that it's quite a large scale print means the crosses each have their own individual character. That golden plus is just perfect. Keep up the good work and thanks for playing along with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh that Amy Butler fabric was a perfect choice. :) I didn't even notice it was one fabric at first! I love that golden plus, it really complements the marsala fabric well!

    ReplyDelete